Last Updated on
Join us, and become a Discoverer.
Join a community of people who want to bring the people of world closer together through immersive learning travel experiences.
“Wait, who are you and what is Discover Discomfort?”
We are Dana and Jo, and we’re on a mission to push our boundaries and learn more about the world and about ourselves. We do this by travelling to places with which we’re unfamiliar, and learning how to live, speak the language and do what they do. Along the way, we share guides for how others can do this too. Our plan for 2019 includes the Middle East, Africa and South-East Asia.
“I’m not giving you my email just so you can spam me!”
Well, we don’t spam. We send emails around once a week. They mainly cover cultural immersion and learning new languages and skills. They’re informative, entertaining and based on a huge amount of research and observation.
Here are a few letters we’ve sent:
- You and I, just a couple of Average Zhous
- I love you, but don’t look at me while I eat this
- Monsters aren’t that scary (but our everyday fears are)
And here’s our letters archive.
What’s some other stuff you’ve written?
A few posts we’re really proud of:
- Don’t Use Apps: Learn Languages Faster with Old Tricks
- The Surprisingly Complex Politics of Being and Speaking Chinese
- Is it too late to learn a language fluently?
Can I just check your website or socials periodically?
Yep! But you won’t get the emails. We archive some on the website, but not all of them.